July 11, 2010

Point Bridget

Today we hiked out to Point Bridget.  It is still cloudy and rainy in Juneau, and we wanted a hike that didn't require a high ceiling to enjoy.


The trailhead is located north of town, almost at the end of the road.  The trail is boardwalked most of the way because it runs through muskeg and mucky forest (most of the time), along a creek, and ends at the beach.

This is looking back at the beach where the trail comes out (right in the middle of the meadowy area).  We walked down the beach and around the point to look for interesting things washed up from the sea.

There are two little state-run cabins along the trail that can be rented by the night as well.  One of them used to have a sauna, but that appears to be missing now.  It probably burned itself down during a party one night.
                                                               Cute cabin, no sauna.

It was a really great hike.  Fairly flat and easy, but lots to look at.  Many types of wildflowers were in bloom, including a variety of orchid, lupine, and of course, fireweed (but the flowers haven't reached the top of the spike yet, so summer will return).  We saw lots of eagles and ravens and smaller birds, harbor seals playing, two toads, a marmot, two porcupines, and...
                                                                                    a ton of bear sign.
This trail consistently has more bear sign than any other trail I have been on in Juneau.  I chose the trail and I knew that going in.  Along with the usual scat piles, which virtually line the trail, there are claw marks in the trees, trails in the grassy areas, patches of ground that have been dug up for roots and grubs, and footprints.  Pawprints.  Whatever.

Now I have only seen one bear (family) on a trail the entire time that I have hiked in Juneau.  I realize that in most cases I would have to try to see a bear (that is, not wear my rain pants), and that I would be lucky to see one.  And I want to see one.  Or more.  Just not on the trail, up close and surprised.  But I pay attention, hike carefully, and am not in the practice of carrying large dead animals out of the woods on my back (which is when most people have problems).  So I know that I am less likely to be surprised, and if I do run into a bear, chances are good that nothing horrible will happen.  I know that bears aren't lining the trails, hiding in tree branches, and waiting for me to walk underneath them so that they can ambush me.  I know this.

That doesn't mean that every snapping branch behind me, and every rustle in the bushes ahead of me doesn't turn a nice walk in the woods into an aerobic exercise.

But I decided long ago that I would rather live in a place where bears roam free.  Even if they eat me.
I'm grain fed and delicious.

No comments: