October 06, 2014

Jellyfish season!!

I'm here, for all of my readers who missed me (ha ha ha).  I had some technical difficulties last week.  Everything is back on track now.

It continues to be autumn-y here.  The weather patterns are changing, and now every night while we are trying to sleep, a storm blows through and rocks us all over the place.  In this harbor the docks move at about the same rate as the boat, so it doesn't take much of a storm to make you feel like you are no longer attached to anything.  The thought that I use to comfort myself is that we would certainly hit something quickly, right?  It isn't like we have one of the outer slips and could just drift out to sea while we slept.

Anyway.

The best part about the cool seasons is that there are jellyfish everywhere.  (I mean, maybe not the best part, but I get pretty excited about it) They are so calming to watch, just hanging out below the surface and pumping water around.  We have started to see a few recently, so I took a couple of crappy pictures with my crappy camera.

Behold:

The internet tells me this is probably a lion's mane jelly, Cyanea capillata for you science types.

I told you they were crappy.  One of the deals that I made with myself is that I get a new camera if I blog regularly enough.
This was a very nice specimen.  It was about the size of a basketball and looked like a flower, with long stringy tentacles.  Most of what we see are moon jellies, which are beautiful, but not as colorful.  Also, if you lay down on the dock and put your face almost to the water, you can see a bunch of different types of comb jellies swarming around.  I will try to get a picture next time I am down there.  Luckily my camera is water proof and floaty.  For when I drop it.

The snow level is still coming down.  This morning there was snow on the top of all of the near mountains, even on Douglas.  I didn't get a picture then, and it is too dark to take pictures after work these days.  Don't worry, there will be more pictures of snow, I promise.

No comments: